1) Shop around to compare quotes - Start by making a decision on the amount and coverage you need, and the deductible. Prices may vary from one company to the other, so compare them for the same amount and type of coverage you chose across different carriers.
Take advantage of obtaining online car insurance quotes from companies that are financially stable and get at least three price quotes. Remember that cheap coverage might not be best; make sure you are still properly covered!
2) Look for good discounts – There are a lot of discounts out there that insurance companies offer. However, they don’t always advertise all of them. It is important to know what you are looking for and ask if there are any discounts you could be getting.
The types and amounts of available discounts vary by insurer. It pays to ask them if you can get discounts for the following:
- Insurance Bundles or Multi-policy
- Safety features such as anti-theft devices, airbags, anti-lock brakes and electronic stability control systems.
- Defensive Driving Courses
- No Accidents in 3 Years
- No Moving Violations in 3 Years
- Going paperless ( signing up for coverage online and choosing electronic documents)
- Paid in full discounts, for paying the whole term up front
It is significant to note that the final premium is more important than the number of discounts that you receive. Getting more discounts isn’t necessarily better if the final price is still higher.
3) Consider Usage-Based Car Insurance - Usage-based insurance lets you plug a device into your vehicle to track mileage and monitor your driving habits. Good driving and avoiding risky driving behavior can save you money on your premiums.
4) Achieve and maintain a good credit record - Credit is a factor that car insurers look into when deciding the cost of your premium. Therefore, having good credit can help you get lower insurance rates.
Here are some ways you can maintain good credit:
- Since your bill-paying history counts more than any other factor, it is best to pay your credit card and loan payments on time.
- Pay down credit card balances and keep them well below your credit limits.
- Apply only for loans and credit cards you really need.
5) Choose a car wisely – It helps to run car insurance quotes for the car models that you like to narrow your choices down. There are available car insurance comparison tools online which you can use with ease. Remember to opt for a car model with a strong safety record and the latest safety equipment. This will help protect you as well as help keep your auto insurance premiums affordable.
There are a lot of factors to consider for you to lower your premium rates. But, once you get a hold of the best car insurance that suits your needs and your budget, your work doesn’t end there. Consider getting quotes at policy renewal time. You can always change carriers to ensure you’re still getting the best price for the coverage.
American Trust Insurance can ensure you have the correct coverage for your unique needs. Let us know how we can help you today by calling (305) 270-2220 or visit us at our office and we may give you a free quote.